Saturday 19 November 2016

Joy of losing

Come on, who wants to lose?? After all the purpose of a game is to win. It really is terrible to walk out of the tournament hall while watching out of the corner of your eye your opponent telling all their friends about their victory. Those fake handshakes, and fake smiles on your face. No one enjoys losing!

But what I feel is while winning will get you more achievements (or maybe even fame) losing makes you wiser. It also helps in remembering your flaws more precisely than the wins.It is hard to recollect wins as easily as it is for a loss.  I remember those mini heart attacks than those winning shots!

Losing gracefully is the first step towards joy. I remember an incident where I was in Taiwan for Asian Schools and I was in a forced mate position (my opponent could mate me in the next move). I still had plenty of time left on my clock. I decided to wait there because I didn’t want to come out as an early loser. Also they were distributing chocolates at the other end and I would miss it if the game ended then. And just when I thought my plan was going to work, the arbiter came and said, “If there is nothing you can do and now, you have to make a move now.” I went red in the face and had to make my move leading to my loss. Later on, I went to the arbiter and sheepishly admitted that I was waiting till my time was about to run out and called my opponent, asking if he wanted to analyse. Voila!! What I got in return? Beautiful game analysis, pat on my back, a good friend who was my opponent few minutes back, and handful of chocolates! This is when I tasted the joy of losing for the first time. And it means a lot to me even now.

So now what does all this mean? Losses make you stronger and wiser. I have lost many games than won. Losing has its own charm. It can make you understand and retrospect mistakes occurred in past. After all losing isn’t as bad as most people think. It is soothing to hear “its okay boy! We can still try next time!” It gives you an opportunity to buck up. Sometimes it is painful, but there is nothing better than analysing with your coach who is always on your side. After all what’s a big deal in analysing an already won game?

So just enjoy the way it goes. How boring the life would be if there were only wins. No wonder chess has black and white, both equally important. Let us celebrate both. Is there anything more precious than your mama’s hug at the end of a lost game? Is there anything more pacifying than your papa’s calm voice miles away? Is there anything more soothing than having someone else to share your misery with? Is there anything more heavenly than that extra cheese pizza, or that day out at the movies after a loss? 

Losing is fun when you have lovely people around and  a free mind to accept the challenge.

Keep Playing
Avathanshu

No comments:

Post a Comment